Today’s Bite-Sized PD for Educational Equity was inspired by:
The Impact of Enhancing Students Social Emotional Learning: A Meta-analysis of School-Based Universal Interventions
I have a confession. I post a lot of great books and articles...that I don’t always read. Yes, I said it and I know many of you can relate because you, like me, are short on time and you likely work for a school that is short on minutes and money for quality PD.
I know my PD is up to me, so this year, I am committing to read and write more. And I am going to post what I write to hold myself accountable -- in public. I know this may not work, but I believe in failing hard. It’s my version of 'go big or go home'.
I often get inspired by research and big ideas.
So, I am going to read daily….okay, okay, that was a lie. I am going to read weekly and share my top five takeaways from that reading. This way, if you don’t have time to read what I read,
you can at least sound like you did! you can read my highlights and determine if they are useful to you. And don't worry, I will not fill your inbox. My goal is to publish 1 to 2 times a week month.
Why Social Emotional Learning Competencies matter?
Social Emotional Learning Competencies are foundational to understanding how to implement social emotional learning programming. If you don’t love reading meta-analyses, then you might not enjoy this article. Hopefully, you will get something out of my top five takeaways.
Top Five Takeaways for Equity in Education
- Teachers can successfully implement Tier 1 or Universal level social-emotional learning programs (p. 13).
- SEL programs are generally designed around these five competencies -- self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, relationship skills, responsible decision-making (p. 2).
- The most effective strategies for equipping students with SEL skills are teaching, modeling, practicing, and applying these skills in diverse contexts (p. 3).
- SEL Programs are most successful when their implementation is SAFE - Sequenced, Active, Focused, Explicit (p.14).
- Students participating in Universal SEL Programs experienced an 11% increase in academic outcomes and emotional intelligence (p.13).
DO NOW - Familiarize yourself with CASEL's five SEL Competencies.
Share this post
- Tags: SEL-Equity